TODAY'S GOSPEL REFLECTIONS OF POPE FRANCIS - 2023/05/14

TODAY'S GOSPEL REFLECTIONS OF POPE FRANCIS 


"The Spirit of Truth"


May 14, 2023. Sixth Sunday of Easter. 


GOSPEL OF THE DAY

From the Gospel according to John

Jn 14,15-21


Jesus said to his disciples:

"If you love me, you will keep my commandments.

And I will ask the Father,

and he will give you another Advocate to be with you always,

the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot accept,

because it neither sees nor knows him.

But you know him, because he remains with you,

and will be in you.

I will not leave you orphans; I will come to you.

In a little while the world will no longer see me,

but you will see me, because I live and you will live.

On that day you will realize that I am in my Father

and you are in me and I in you.

Whoever has my commandments and observes them

is the one who loves me.

And whoever loves me will be loved by my Father,

and I will love him and reveal myself to him."


WORDS OF THE HOLY FATHER 


By meditating on these words of Jesus, we perceive with the sense of faith that we are the People of God in communion with the Father and with Jesus through the Holy Spirit. The Church finds the inexhaustible source of her very mission, which is achieved through love, in this mystery of communion. Jesus says in today’s Gospel: “He who has My commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves Me; and he who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and manifest Myself to him” (Jn 14:21). So, love introduces us to the knowledge of Jesus, thanks to the action of this “Advocate” that Jesus sent, that is, the Holy Spirit. Love for God and neighbour is the greatest commandment of the Gospel. The Lord today calls us to respond generously to the Gospel’s call to love, placing God at the centre of our lives and dedicating ourselves to the service of our brothers and sisters, especially those most in need of support and consolation… 


Every day we must learn the art of loving. every day we must patiently follow the school of Christ. Every day we must forgive and look to Jesus, and do this with the help of this “Advocate,” of this Counsellor whom Jesus has sent to us, who is the Holy Spirit. (Regina Caeli, 21 May 2017)


Source: https://www.vaticannews.va/en/word-of-the-day.html

Comments

Popular Posts